Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Frank Herbert's Dune

I finished Frank Herbert's Dune yesterday. Before I go on, I'll take a moment to let all you other sci-fi geeks air your concerns.

Yes, I know the book's been around longer than I've been alive, and it's a classic. No, I can't justify not having read it before now, being a spec fic writer and all. Somehow, it took me this long to get to it. But, better a late geek-gasm than none at all.

Paul/ Maud'Dib's transformation in the book is probably my favorite aspect. I love watching how we shift from the perspective of outsiders, dismissive of the desert-roaming Fremen, to living with the Fremen themselves. To an outsider, the giant sand worms are at least an inconvenience, and at most deadly predators. To the Fremen, they take on the role of sacred Makers, and a valued form of transportation. I have much to learn from Herbert's writing.

I do have issues with how women are portrayed in the book, but that's a matter for another post. Now, on with finishing my own novel.

By the way, I've decided on yet another title change (yes, I know this will probably get changed by an editor anyway). I'm changing it from Slideways to The Sundering Gate. What do you think?

2 comments:

Davetrain said...

Well first of all, I don't even know what your novel is about so my input here probably should be ignored. That said, everytime I see Slideways I start singing the Dierks Bentley song Sideways. Which I like, but still....

The Sundering Gate has a more classical sound to it. Like a Cary Grant movie or something else you might see on TCM.

Faith Van Horne said...

TCM, huh? That could have an appeal. As far as the book's content, I do think The Sundering Gate is more apt.